Thursday, April 26, 2012

Recipe of the day: Healthy Fried Rice..

I'm a sucker for rice. Seriously am. My mom cooks rice EVERYDAY. I'm convinced this is why I got fat. Haha. I love all kinds of rice from all cultures. Thai, Chinese, West Indian, Indian, Vietnamese. Love it all. I can eat a bowl of rice with nothing else and be one happy girl. We know I've been struggling with this weight loss. Although I've been a better eater. I realized that I would default by eating massive amounts of rice. To make up for NOT eating meat anymore. Bad idea. Back fired. That scale went right back up. *Sigh*. I've decided that for me to be successful in my weight loss, then I need to modify my favorite food dish. Rice.

Rice is one of the most versatile grain in anyones cabinet aside from noodles. My mom added different kinds of flavors, beans, veggies to her rice to change it up. And I ate it up. Theres two kinds of rice: "regular" or white rice and brown rice.

Brown Rice: Is more of a whole, natural grain. Its very popular now by health addicts. It has a mild nutty flavor and is more nutritious then white rice. More chewy in texture. Takes longer to cook (about 45 mins) and spoils faster. My favorite kind.

In my house. I'm out numbered. Mel and the kids won't touch brown rice. "Its too chewy and taste like poop" I don't know what poop tastes like but that Jae's excuse to not eat it. "I'm not touching that shxt. It takes forever to chew" and thats Mel's excuse. Its not like you can hide it in anything because of this chewy texture. So I don't fight with them. I let them have white rice and I eat brown rice. But I always attempt to mix it up a little bit. After all I want EVERYONE in my household to be healthy. Especially my big boy Mel. Last night I made dinner. Mel said he was in the mood for chicken and rice. I attempted to make my healthy version of fried rice (Mel's favorite kind). It was DELICIOUS!!! Even Jae ate it and I was shocked. I loaded it with veggies and even added eggs to make up for using white rice. LOVED IT!

Heres the recipe. I winged it. So I don't know how much everything really is. Sorry. Next time I make it I'll measure!


Healthy Fried Rice
Ingredients:
  • Leftover rice
  • Zucchini (chopped in bite sized pieces)
  • Spinach 
  • Canned corn (Drained)
  • Red Onions (Chopped)
  • Eggs
  • Garlic (Fresh, grated or finely chopped)
  • Ginger (grated or finely chopped)
  • Soy Sauce (Reduce sodium)
  • Hoisin (its kind of like chinese/vietnemese BBQ sauce, if you'd like)
  • PAM cooking spray

Method
  1. I did two egg whites and one whole egg. Spray the PAM (not a lot, maybe half a spray) Scrambled them with some salt and pepper. Set them to the side
  2. Let the pan get really hot (Its best if you have a wok, which I do. But if you don't have a wok thats fine. Any pan will work) Sprayed more PAM (One full spray). Cook onions, garlic and ginger. DO NOT let the ginger or garlic burn. Has the most bitter taste when burnt. 
  3. Add zucchini. Cook that until it starts to soften. We like crunchy vegetables. So I didn't let it get to soft. Its up to you. 
  4. Add spinach and corn. Corn is already cooked so we don't want it turning into mush and spinach wilts quickly. 
  5. Add rice. Cook all of them together. Making sure nothing sticks to the bottom of the pan and that the rice and veggies are thoroughly incorporated. 
  6. Add soy sauce to taste. I did about 2 tablespoons. I didn't add a lot of hoisin. Continue to stir. Don't let it sit. 
  7. Once it tastes how you like it to. Add the eggs to heat them up. 
There you go! Enjoy! Its super simple. Took me no more than 20 mins after I cooked my rice. Next time I'm gonna add tofu for myself and chicken, beef or shrimp for Mel. You can add more veggies. I actually plan on adding edemame and bok choy, maybe some cabbage. If you guys like it. Let me know! Night!

Peace && Pink.
TPN..

No comments:

Post a Comment